1. Don't follow advice. Well not all advice, as a new dad you'll soon realise that everyone has got an opinion. If you try and follow it all then you'll soon end up getting in a twist. Listen to advice but just follow the advice that is right for you and your new family.
2. Get plenty of sleep. Although no amount of sleep can prepare you for sleep deprivation you are about to encounter, try to get as much sleep as possible and take the time to appreciate it. When the baby comes you may agree a rota with your partner so everyone always gets a bit of sleep.
3. Spend time with your family. No amount of money can replace time with your family and it is even more important in the first few weeks as babies change so quickly that if you blink you'll miss it.
4. Remember it's okay to be stressed. You are a new dad this is a very stressful time and you're going to feel stressed and out of your depth but that's okay and it shows that you are thinking about other people and you care.
5. Read. Read as early and often as you can, there is no greater skill or gift you can give your child than the ability to read and to enjoy reading. Later in life when they can read then nothing can hold them back, they will be able to teach themselves anything.
6. Get ready to be happy. I can not explain how much the joy of being a dad will bring you. Everyday your child will give you a reason to smile and there is no better feeling. Just remember to take the time to enjoy it.